Here we will explain how to prepare a Pokémon Crystal ROM to be use with Crowd Control. We will not provide the ROM, but once you have obtained your legal backup from original source, follow the below steps.
- Before you are able to play any Game Boy game with Bizhawk, you will need to get a legally obtained backup of your Game Boy’s BIOS. Import the GB BIOS, Config > Firmwares. Find GB, right click and Set Custom . This will allow you to browse to your BIOS. After selecting BIOS, choose the relaunch option or close out Bizhawk and reopen from the CC app.
An example of GB BIOS may look like:
Filename: bios_gb.bin, [BIOS] Nintendo Game Boy Boot ROM (World).gb, etc CRC32 : 59C8598E MD5 : 32FBBD84168D3482956EB3C5051637F5 SHA1 : 4ED31EC6B0B175BB109C0EB5FD3D193DA823339F
- Nothing extra needed at this point. The US version of Pokémon Crystal will get auto-patched when you start Bizhawk through the Crowd Control app.
- We also support this randomzier: Universal Pokemon Game Randomizer
- Other randomizers or mods/hacks will likely not work!
If the application is unable to use your ROM it will let you know. Also to ensure the game is working, you should see “C.C. Edition” on the title screen of the game!
Looking for Game Boy Color Support?
Here are some tips for getting Pokémon Crystal set for GBC, which can look much better for streams. This will require the same ROM as before, but this time we need the GBC BIOS to continue and the GBC setting enabled.
- Import the GBC BIOS, Config > Firmwares. Find GBC, right click and Set Custom. This will allow you to browse to your BIOS. After selecting BIOS, choose the relaunch option or close out Bizhawk and reopen from the CC app.
For reference, GBC BIOS may look like:
Filename: bios_gbc.bin CRC32 : 41884E46 MD5 : DBFCE9DB9DEAA2567F6A84FDE55F9680 SHA1 : 1293D68BF9643BC4F36954C1E80E38F39864528D
- After starting Pokemon, change the console from GB > Settings, and change Console Mode
You can follow the general setup guide at Warp World - The Future of Interactive Streaming & Gaming for extra help with the Crowd Control app, the extension or emulator support. Don’t forget to create a menu and adjust item pricing at Warp World - The Future of Interactive Streaming & Gaming.