Will there be a Mario Maker 2 for Switch?

This seems to be a popular topic in pretty much every Mario Maker stream.
Do you think Nintendo will release a follow-up to Switch for this awesome game?

4 Likes

I certainly hope so! Would be a deciding factor in me trying to get one. Otherwise, I might be searching out a used WiiU to finally get to play.

Yeah it’s going to be a deciding factor for me too. I bought wiiu solely for mario maker. For a long time I played lots of hacked mario games on my wii. But once they released mario maker which pretty much means unlimited content I had to get it. As Breath of the Wild is being released for wiiu too I don’t see any reason otherwise for getting the Switch.

1 Like

I used to think that it wouldn’t really work with the Switch. Since the gamepad really made it work when designing a level, so I wasn’t exactly sure how the Switch could do it. But I think they will find a way at this point and it will be announced if not released this year.

Sure the Switch has a touchscreen, but that means you could only design while not docked? That seems cumbersome. Especially since you end up testing things a lot and would like for others to give input while designing. So for that reason I was hesitant to think it would come to the Switch without some sort of add-on.

But then when they announced the Switch and voice chat requiring use of your mobile phone, I felt that maybe they could\would follow in the same direction for other games like Mario Maker. Just about everyone has a tablet\smart phone so why not let me them use it as a touchscreen when the system is docked.

It might not be the best solution, but it might still work for them and others and it’s better than not having the game at all.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but isn’t Nintendo planning on dropping support for the Wii U when the Switch comes out?
If they want people to keep buying and playing the game they’d have to have some port or sequel to it on the Switch.

IF they are planning on continuing support for the Wii U, they probably wouldn’t port it or sequel it for a bit until suss out some issues or just listen to @jaku . If they do continue support, I really hope they don’t do what they did with the 3DS version in regards to level sharing/searching, which they royally dropped the ball on. But maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

I really hope so. Much as I’m excited for the Switch, I’m sad to see the Wii U dying off so early, and hopefully Mario Maker’s servers won’t be shut down as soon as they leave the Wii U in the dust.

But I’d only accept a SMM for Switch if it was an actual improvement or even direct port of the Wii U game, not a downgrade like the 3DS version. That game essentially removed 95% of the appeal of SMM while adding a new batch of official levels that are fun for one playthrough. The medal challenges are underused concepts that would be amazing to see integrated in actual level creation in a potential Switch sequel or enhanced port. It was pointless to only have them in official levels in the 3DS game. But I guess that didn’t matter because you couldn’t upload anyway…

Anyway, yeah I want a Switch SMM. This community is too awesome to just die with the Wii U. Whether it will actually happen or not, it’s up in the air, but I can express interest in it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They aren’t really “dropping” support. They tend to support their previous console for a while after the last one comes out. The game requires very little support at this point and uses Amazon Web Services for it’s infrastructure. So we won’t have the same issue that we had when GameSpy shutdown the servers that were running for the original DS and Wii.

Of course they won’t support it forever, but the game is only a little over 1 year old. I can’t see them shutting it down in 2017, and feel like it would last until 2018 at the very least with the possibility of going to 2019.

To @fawfulthegreat64 the 3DS version was nothing more than a cash grab. They wanted to get a game out quickly. Not having online support was a terrible idea but they did it because they knew they had no way to prevent users from uploading impossible levels. The 3DS is so hacked that people could have done so much and ruined the online experience of others, which I think is the reason for lack of online.

3 Likes

Totally Agree with Jaku here. WiiU won’t lose it’s support for at least a couple of years. Everything earlier would be an insult to their community. The 3DS version was nothing more then a quick buck for them. The game itself is absolutely horrible imo… not having the core feature available in that version is the worst.

I think a new MM will be announced at probably E3 this year and will come out spring 2018. I am basing this on absolutely thin air, but I’m usually not far off. Mario Maker is one of the biggest successtories of the WiiU, while the WiiU itself being one of the worst stories for Nintendo, that says something. A sequel with more features for switch will absolutely come.

And for me as well, that would be a reason to buy the switch. Otherwise I am just not seeing it yet. I see the potential but the console is just to basic for me now. (only a few games, no internetbrowser, no stream support… etc.)

-Qbrain

3 Likes